Monday, December 28, 2009

Himalaya Herbals Neem Face Pack Review

I know i've been lagging on my product review posts. I apologize for it.

I just haven't found the time to do reviews, but i would like to leave the year with a product review before i post in another haul. I changed my mind, instead of posting product reviews next year, why not now?! although i fear it's not really up to my standard, but since i have a couple of request so i'm posting this already.

I'll start it with the Himalaya Herbals Neem Face Pack. This is the darkest clay mask that i found. This is best suited for Oily & Pimple-prone skin.

The main ingredient "Neem" known as the Divine Tree is commonly used in the Ayurvedic medicine. It is used as an acne treatment aside from it being antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral,etc. So it is really good!

It also has Turmeric, which, same with Neem is also an antiseptic & anti-oxidant, while Fuller's Earth is a type of a green clay that works best for oily/acne-prone skin. You can click THIS to find out some info that i posted about different types of clay masks.

It is available here (in the Philippines), so for those who wanted to give this a try you can drop by at Watson to buy it. It is only Php 199 ($4.25 approx).

This is the description based on their website:
Action:
Clears skin and prevents outbreak and recurrence of pimples. Rejuvenates and firms up the skin. Imparts natural glow. Antibacterial purifying Neem Face Pack regulates excess oil secretion, cleans clogged pores and prevents recurrence of pimples. Improves skin texture. Neem, well known for its antibacterial properties, helps in controlling acne and pimples, and their recurrence. Further, when combined with Turmeric, it effectively eliminates acne-causing bacteria. Fuller's Earth (Multani Mitti) cools and soothes the skin.
As for the back label:


Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque is way bigger than this. Julep Mask is 8 oz. while this one is 5.3 oz. If you read my review on Queen Helen Mint Julep Masque, you'll see how big the opening of the tube. This one has a smaller opening, though it's a lot easier since it got a flip top cap (see the green cap?).


When i say dark, it is really dark!


It looks like....uhhh....mud.

What i hate about this is that the smell is so strong. It has a distinct pungent odor that is really overpowering. I will not say that it smells bad, it's supposed to smell good but i don't like it. I asked the people around to describe it but they can't.

Mum says it smells like a 'bark tree' or something, someone said that it smells flowery, my lil brother just winced his face & said "bleugh! I feel like i'm being suffocated" then put his hands around his throat...on which i gather means that he hates it!
animated smileys

I have to agree with lil bro on this one. It's so strong that when i applied it in the evening (in an air-conditioned room), the smell still lingers when i woke up in the morning. That's how pungent it is!

I hate face products that smell really strong! This is the ultimate BOO factor for me.


As for the directions:

Directions for Use:
Apply evenly over cleansed face and neck, avoiding the area around eyes. Allow it to dry for 10–15 minutes. Remove with wet sponge and wash the skin with cool water. Use once or twice a week.


When applied, this is how it would look like


Im already saying in advanced that i don't have a before & after photo because i didn't notice that the after photo is really blurred. I only knew it when i already washed it off, apply moisturizer & transferred it on my pc. So i'll just be stating my observations.

This is how it looks like when its wet.


I allowed it to dry for 15-20 minutes just so that you can see how it looks like. It is one hard clay! I had to use warm water, not cold to remove it. But it still didn't budge. I have to scrub my face to be able to remove it. That's because i let it really dry. I guess it doesn't need to be as dry like this.

I let it dry because i'm not sure if you will be able to see how it absorbs the oils from the skin. This is how it looks like when its dry.

See my nose?
The oils are absorbed by the clay!

Now, on to my observations.
I like that it really does absorb my oilies...better than Queen Helene, i think. The next day, my face is not as oily as it was compare to before i use it.

As to the 'after' result, my zits decreased in size & also in redness. The size of my pores were also reduced.

But what i really hate about it is the smell! OMG! Much as i like how it helps keep my oilies at bay, but i can't risk my olfactory nerves dying everytime i use it.
sign smileys

Pros:
  • cheap
  • available locally
  • helps control oil
  • hygienic packaging
  • it works!
Cons:
  • overpowering smell (if you don't mind products like so, then you might like it)
It says at the back that it has no harmful chemicals, it might be so, but again, i prefer my face products to be fragrance-free because i fear that additional fragrance as just 'additives' that might cause harm on people with sensitive skin. This is just my opinion,ok? Don't take what it is as a professional 'reasoning',ok?

Will i buy it?
No, because of the smell.

No matter how good this mask is, i won't risk my olfactory nerves. I have a very sensitive sense of smell. When i say sensitive, it is really sensitive! I can smell people who are smoking 10 feet away from me (im serious,people). I feel like i am being suffocated every time i use this. I so hate how the way it smells!

I won't mind it if it is fragrant, but too much is not good. Im sure you have been to Lush store already. Lush has a distinct strong smell because of all the soap there. Think of this as like that. That's how strong it is. This is actually the sole reason why i don't use this.

I can grow to like this if it were not for the way it smells. For those who wanted to try this but is wary of the smell, try to take a sniff first to see if you can take it before you purchase it.

There are other face pack that are suited for everyone's skin type. Just click the name to be directed to the page.

There ya go!
Hope you find this review helpful, even though i feel like i just ranted because of how it smells. Sorry if i took like forever in making a review.

Jaa ne~!
^_~

21 comments:

Introvert said...

I'm currently on the DK regimen (acne.org) and I'm contemplating on using a mask since it might cause extreme dryness :)

I'm currently trying on the aspirin mask for a fit. hehehe.

That's a nice review. I think i would try that when my face isn't so red and flaky. hehe.

♥ Nehs ♥ said...

nabibighani akong mag-clay mask dahil sayo. :) i'll check this tomorrow pagpunta ko sa watson. thanks for this! very helpful

Nina said...

I also have this mask and I agree the smell is too overwhelming. But I would still buy this because it's affordable and I do think it works! It manages to dry out my zits overnight! I was a bit eager to use it to the point that it dried out my nose and made it flaky so I have to limit my usage. Have you tried the Acne & Pimple cream they carry? I'm interested to try it out but I'm afraid that it might not work.

AskMeWhats said...

Just by looking at the photo, I can sense that it has a strong smell! you look cute with a mud looking substance on your face :D

donnarence said...

sayang naman ito.. hindi ako pwede sa super strong scented prods eh.. pero it base on your reviews for me ok din siya..

Toothfairy said...

oh ew... hahaha it really looks like mud! :S

loves
Enjoy the rest of the holidays girl!

文学少女 (Literature Girl) said...

I can relate with you on your sensitive olfactory senses!

I saw this product in watsons but I was debating if I should get it. I was rooting for the mint julep masque. I think I won't get this anymore. thanks for saving me money, thia! :D

noone said...

heh I have a clay mask that when it dries it shows me where my oily pores are too... I love it compare to my other masks cuz it looks like it really works! but that's too bad about the smell, that would def turn me off buying the product!

Bernadette Villanueva said...

Hi Thia, remember I asked you for the DARKEST clay & you recommended this, so I tried it, and it worked for me! It sucks up the oil from the mine! =D But I have to agree with the smell, for me it smells "old". LOL.

Happy Holidays!

xoladiihoneyxo said...

Wow, nice review! I agree, if the smell is really that bad... I probably won't use it but it seems like it works! lol. I think the fragrance will ruin your olfactory senses and it will be bad for individuals who have sensitive skin.

Sarah said...

Oh nooo, what a pain that it doesn't smell so good!!! But wow look at how great it asorbs the oil! hahaha you look too cute in the first photo :) Love it!!

Aw I hope you have the most amazing NYE too dear!! And that 2010 is a year of only wonderful things for you! :) xoxo

♥ Nehs ♥ said...

i have this already. :)) it's on my fezz right now. :DDD thanks for the review about this product, i think i'm gonna like it. it really has a strong scent but i don't really mind. hehe... i also got their purifying mud pack and neem foaming face wash. :)

<3 happy new year thiamere! ~xo

MAGGIE said...

I've just bought my First Neem Face Pack. Tama ka nga. Strong yung herbal smell. But I can tolerate it if this can deliver its promise to improve my skin. ^__^ Sana magwork. :)

slgirl said...

hey! i have been getting pimples since late. a salesman at a cosmetic store suggested himalaya neem face wash. i bought it to try it out. i have dry skin. does it actually reduce pimples and acne?? if it works according to what it says then maybe i will purchase the neem face pack cos i have heard that the face wash used together with the face pack gives best results. however i do not want to use more than one product at once without knowing the results each gives cos i might end up with a worse skin condition :O

Jem said...

hi,sweetie!
i have stopped using this because the scent really drives me insane. as for reducing zits...clay masks actually works a an oil absorber.

the skin has 2 layers, the first layer, on which we can see & feel is the layer that can have excess sebums on which if you won't be able to get rid of excess oils or dead skin cells can cause zits. so in theory, if you use clay masks to absorb those oils that could cause any future breakouts, then yes it could reduce it. but sometimes it just doesn't work like that in every person.

what is your skin type?
you can choose the best clay mask for you. click HERE for more info about clay masks.

i hope that it would work out for you. i think clay masks actually does wonders! it will neutralize your skin.
^_^

slgirl said...

My skin is quite dry and it does flake at times. but these days i have managed to keep it balanced by applying night oil. however i have been getting pimples recently and i have started using the purifying neem face wash. i want to know if it actually reduces pimples??

Jem said...

i remember reading Donna's post about it before saying that it actually worked for her. she also had dry skin & it worked for here. you might want to check THIS

personally it didn't do anything for me. i have also tried the neem facial wash. what i like about it is that it won't leave you with a tight-dry feeling after every use. but as for the zit-reducing effect, i will say that i did not experience something like that. but then again, every person have a different reaction to every product.

Addie said...

I also did a review on this :) I love the product so much especially when I saw all the dirt that got out :))

http://whatsgoingonwithaddie.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-himalaya-herbals-neem-face-pack.html

Crystal A. said...

Help! Where can I buy this? Been trying to get this one but can't find any in our local supermarkets. :( I have acne all over my face and I think this product is a good one because of turmeric benefits.

Thiamere Brea said...

i'm not really sure ebcause this is available here in the philippines at watsons.
from where are you from?

Thiamere Brea said...

maybe you can try searching for it online...
try ebay

Believe in B.liv's Dump Off Drawn! I do!

I was contacted by B.liv weeks ago to try out their products. I have been so lazy in applying any skin care products lately that I can alrea...